Calibration

senia
I want to calibrate my kinect(XBOX 360) to get more accurate results.
I saw here that you( matlabbe) said that the kinect is already calibrated, and the drivers will ignore calibration files, yet here I saw an opposite statement that said you can calibrate your kinect for better accuracy. I managed to calibrate using that tutorial(using freenect_launch, yet I still got 2 questions:
1. Does the drivers still use the "factory calibration" or I could insert my own calibration values? because I see some difference between the factory calibration and mine calibration.
2. I made 2 calibrations, one for RGB and one for depth(IR), which one should I use or put into the "Preferences-->Source-->Calibration file path"?(If I can, Q1)
Thank you.

Re: Calibration

Hi Senia,

If you are on ROS, the images are rectified/registered outside rtabmap, so yes your calibration will be used (just refer to camera node used like freenect_launch, openni_launch or openni2_launch to make sure). On ROS, rtabmapviz should have the Preferences->Source panel disabled anyway.

The standalone supports only Kinect v2 and stereo calibration (rectification/registration). However, if you want to calibrate the depth measurements for Kinect v2, I recommend to use the iai_kinect2 package.

As you are using a Kinect for XBOX 360, you may switch to rtabmap_ros so that you have the images rectified/registered with your calibration.

Re: Calibration

senia
Thanks for the fast replay,
So just to make sure, its not possible to improve already captured rtabmap database using calibration? Only future captures and using ROS?
Thanks.

Re: Calibration

Yes, only future captures using ROS for freenect/openni/openni2.

cheers