Camera Initializaion difficulties. I'd really appreciate some help! :)

Camera Initializaion difficulties. I'd really appreciate some help! :)

ThinkingThings
Good morning, afternoon, or night, friends!

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the Kinect V2 and the ZED camera working in Windows RTAB, unfortunately. I have the latest release of RTAB, and have followed the instructions on the github page to get it all working, unfortunately, the software seems to be having trouble working with the two cameras.

With the ZED, I'm having the error "Camera Initialization failed..." in a windows dialog box with the following log message being reported:

[ERROR] (2016-10-15 13:33:43) CameraStereo.cpp:1237::rtabmap::CameraStereoVideo::init() CameraStereoVideo: Failed to create a capture object!

---

With the Xbox Kinect V2 sensor, I again get the windows dialog box reporting to me "Camera Initialization failed..."

and the corresponding log message appears:

[ERROR] (2016-10-15 13:35:19) CameraRGBD.cpp:1287::rtabmap::CameraFreenect2::init() CameraFreenect2: no device connected or failure opening the default one! Note that rtabmap should link on libusb of libfreenect2. Tip, before starting rtabmap: "$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/libfreenect2/depends/libusb/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"

----

I've tried a lot of troubleshooting and am just not sure where to go from here.

---

Just a side note, when I test FREENECT with the example program, both of my Kinect v2 sensors work just fine, and the ZED camera works well with the provided SDK. :)

Thanks a bunch friends for your help in solving this mystery, and I greatly appreciate it!

Re: Camera Initializaion difficulties. I'd really appreciate some help! :)

Do you mean you built RTAB-Map from source or you are using the 0.11.8 binaries?

Re: Camera Initializaion difficulties. I'd really appreciate some help! :)

ThinkingThings
Hi there! Thank you loads for repsonding.

I've actually downloaded 0.11.8 binaries under a Windows environment, as I'm having trouble with the CUDA drivers under Ubuntu. Your software seems like a life saver...if I can get it working as well.

:)

Re: Camera Initializaion difficulties. I'd really appreciate some help! :)

ThinkingThings
Soon, I'll try building from source, to see if I can replicate the error from that method. I'm going to do a clean install of all dependencies as well, and I'll report back here with my findings. Thanks for the reply.

Re: Camera Initializaion difficulties. I'd really appreciate some help! :)

ThinkingThings
Hello, I understand you must be quite busy, and forgive me if it seems I am losing patience on this matter. I've since tried to compile from source, and have attempted to try several other versions for FREENECT and OPENNI2.

OPENNI2 is installed on my computer, and the program simply locks up after it prompts me about a failed initialization using the camera.

FREENECT is not selectable on all different build versions.

I've been ripping out my hair over this, and would really appreciate your assistance.

Re: Camera Initializaion difficulties. I'd really appreciate some help! :)

jacksonkr
What operating system are you on, what version, and do you know your processor?

And are you using ros? if so this becomes a lot easier.

If you're interested in install rtabmap with ros here are some steps:

1) install ros: http://wiki.ros.org/ROS/Installation
- pick your OS then follow the steps. make sure you follow the instructions exactly or you can botch your install

2) on ubuntu: install ros packages to help (assuming you installed ros indigo, if not use "kinetic" where you see "indigo")
$ sudo apt-get install ros-indigo-openni-*
$ sudo apt-get install ros-indigo-freenect-*

3) install rtabmap
- I THINK you can install the standalone: $ sudo apt-get install ros-indigo-rtabmap
- if not, follow this: https://github.com/introlab/rtabmap/wiki/Installation

4) install rtabmap_ros
- in the ros install you're walked through creating a catkin_ws workspace
- clone rtabmap_ros into catkin_ws/src
- run `catkin_make` from your catkin_ws folder

There are number of ways to install everything and a GREAT place for help on topics like this is answers.ros.org

Cheers!

Re: Camera Initializaion difficulties. I'd really appreciate some help! :)

I plan to release a new Windows release next week. Normally the current binaries should work for OpenNI2 and Freenect2. Freenect is not available in the current binary release (as on Windows OpenNI2 can be used for the Kinect v1). With 0.11.8, the ZED sdk 1.0.0 was used. For Freenect2, as stated on the 0.11.7 version:
Note that for the Kinect v2, UsbDK is now used. See libfreenect2 page for more info.
installation instructions of UsbDK on libfreenect2.

Other useful instructions: https://github.com/introlab/rtabmap/wiki/Installation#windows
Driver for Kinect XBox 360 / Kinect for Windows:
    A (Recommended for binaries): Install Kinect for Windows SDK 1.6, then select "OpenNI2" driver in RTAB-Map.

Re: Camera Initializaion difficulties. I'd really appreciate some help! :)

ThinkingThings
Hello! Thank you for the response, Jackson, but I am unable to install Linux CUDA drivers/ROS properly thanks to a cumbersome login loop.

I'm using WINDOWS 10, and my processor is a 5730k, GFX Nvidia 1080

Here's my complete log

[Info] [OpenCLDepthPacketProcessorImpl]  devices:
[Info] [OpenCLDepthPacketProcessorImpl]   0: GeForce GTX 1080  (GPU)[NVIDIA Corporation ]
[Info] [OpenCLDepthPacketProcessorImpl] selected device: GeForce GTX 1080  (GPU)[NVIDIA Corporation ]
[Info] [OpenCLDepthPacketProcessorImpl] building OpenCL program...
[Info] [OpenCLDepthPacketProcessorImpl] OpenCL program built successfully
[Info] [Freenect2Impl] enumerating devices...
[Info] [Freenect2Impl] 17 usb devices connected
Driver file operation error. DeviceIoControl failed (The device is not connected.  Error code = 1167)
[Error] [Freenect2Impl] failed to open Kinect v2: @43:2 LIBUSB_ERROR_OTHER Other error
[Info] [Freenect2Impl] found 0 devices
[Error] [Freenect2Impl] requested device 0 is not connected!
[ERROR] (2016-10-29 06:45:15) CameraRGBD.cpp:1537::rtabmap::CameraFreenect2::init() CameraFreenect2: no device connected or failure opening the default one! Note that rtabmap should link on libusb of libfreenect2. Tip, before starting rtabmap: "$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/libfreenect2/depends/libusb/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH"
[ WARN] (2016-10-29 06:45:15) PreferencesDialog.cpp:4469::rtabmap::PreferencesDialog::createCamera() init camera failed...

INTERESTINGLY ENOUGH, Kinect 2 works about 1 in 20 attempts, and then fails midway, or locks up the program.

I should also note that the program hangs for about 4 -10 minutes before it gives me access to it again, with a failure.

I've just upgraded to 11.11, but these problems occured on every version of the software.

Re: Camera Initializaion difficulties. I'd really appreciate some help! :)

You may try to replace the freenect2.dll installed in RTAB-Map's bin directory with the one installed on your computer (built from your standalone libfreenect2 project).

You could try the same with the ZED SDK (deleting ZED/CUDA dlls from RTAB-Map's bin directory so those installed from your CUDA/ZED installation are used from the PATH), though I packaged the dll installed from the v1.1.1 SDK ( so we should have exactly the same).

cheers