How to take points at featureless hallway

How to take points at featureless hallway

Chen
Hi, everyone.
I'd like to know how to take 3D points at featureless hallway.

I tried to take points at this hallway many of times, but occurred errors because of featureless wall.
I only use RGB-D camera and standalone RTAB-Map.

If you know the best configuration, please let me know.
Thanks!

Chen

Re: How to take points at featureless hallway

maybe with stereo the camera would be able to track farther features (with Vis/EstimationType=1). However, such environments are very challenging for visual odometry approaches, as they would give either poor pose estimation or just cannot compute one. If you have a robot, you may use or combine with wheel odometry. For example in the environment of this tutorial, the Map 5 has long featureless corridors like that, but the robot is using only wheel odometry (with optionally long-range LiDAR for ICP refining).

Re: How to take points at featureless hallway

Chen
Hi, Mathieu;

Thank you for your advice.

I have a LRF(UTM-30LX) and youbot(omni wheel robot).
So, I'll use these machines.

Is stand alone RTAB-Map implemented visual + scan data + wheel odometry SLAM operation system?
Using ROS is the best way to generate accurate 3D map ?

Please let me know !
Thanks!

Chen

Re: How to take points at featureless hallway

No, the standalone doesn't have external odometry or laser scans inputs. rtabmap_ros should be used for that, see this tutorial.

Mapping with ROS or with the standalone outputs the same format (*.db) that can be re-opened in the standalone to regenerate the point clouds at higher resolution. With an UTM-30LX, you will gain a lot of accuracy.

Re: How to take points at featureless hallway

Chen
Thank you so much!

Chen