Idea for allowing loop closures on multiple maps (online)

Idea for allowing loop closures on multiple maps (online)

jacksonkr
This post was updated on .
According to this thread it sounds like loop closures will not be found when working with multiple robots in the same space.

Let's say I have 5 robots all mapping the same space. If I had a computer dedicated to processing map data and loop closures would it be possible to listen to each robot's topics to generate a single online map with loop closures? Of course all machines would be on the same wireless N network.

Re: Idea for allowing loop closures on multiple maps (online)

Indeed, loop closures between robots cannot be detected online. There is also no mechanism to have only one rtabmap node running remotely on a master computer for more than one robot.

The only way to merge maps from different robots is assuming that they are multi-session maps from the same robot. So you could do similar to Multi-Session tutorial to find loop closures between the robots offline.

Duly noted. In effort to find a plausible workaround I've created a question regarding ROS Master / Slave relationships over at answer.ros.org