Mapping wide open outdoor space

jseng
I was wondering if you have any tips on mapping and localizing in a wide open outdoor space (large concrete area with buildings in the background).  I have mostly been using RTABMAP where there are hallways, but I was thinking since there is no depth information in a wide open space, it would be difficult to localize.  Do you have any tips for this scenario?  Thanks.

Re: Mapping wide open outdoor space

Use a stereo camera. If the discriminative visual features are far from the camera, use a stereo camera with larger baseline and/or higher resolution.

Going long-range 3D lidar like Velodyne/ouster could be also possible to do.