PCL version?

scanboy
When following the guidelines to build RTABMap stand alone on Linux (e.g. Ubuntu 16.04) the apt-get install libpcl-dev will install PCL 1.7.2 (apt-cache show libpcl-dev)

Is there any good reason to install PCL 1.7.2 that is from 2014 instead of 1.9.1 that is from 2018 for rtabmap?
I would build PCL 1.9.1 from source myself.

Re: PCL version?

The only reason is for convenience, rebuilding PCL is quite long. We don't actually use new stuff from PCL that would require latest version, so PCL binaries are fine. The only problem that could happen when building recent versions of PCL from source is that they add now -march=native flag by default (probably for better performance). However, -march=native doesn't play well with other libraries depending on Eigen that are not built with this flag. If you rebuild PCL from source with that flag, we should also rebuild from source g2o and gtsam with that flag. RTAB-Map will detect automatically if PCL has been built with -march=native, and it will use it.

If rtabmap is crashing on start, use gdb to traceback the crash, if it happens in Eigen functions, this is likely a -march=native problem.