Question about RGB-D camera with tilt gimbal

Question about RGB-D camera with tilt gimbal

scottsrobots
Hello and thanks for all of the excellent help you have shared so far.

For my robot design I plan on using an Intel RealSense 415 depth stream for mapping.

I also want to use the included RGB camera for object detection.

For mapping, I only need a 2d costmap, but for object detection, I’ll want to be able to tilt my little robot’s RGB camera upwards to see people, faces, etc.

When creating a 2d map with the RGB-D camera should I be careful only to map with the camera’s view plane always parallel to the ground plane? Or will RTAB-Map do some magic to be able to create the map even if the head is looking up and down while moving?

Thanks again!

Re: Question about RGB-D camera with tilt gimbal

scottsrobots
Note the above assumes I’m also fusing odometry from wheel encoders and an IMU.

Re: Question about RGB-D camera with tilt gimbal

As long as in TF the camera link is also rotated, there is no problem to map while the camera is tilting. For loop closure detection, it would be better that the camera has always the same orientation, but will still work. The 2D occupancy grid will be also correctly created even if the camera is tilting.