Suggestions for 3D LIDAR and RGB on outdoor drone

Suggestions for 3D LIDAR and RGB on outdoor drone

phil
Can anyone offer suggestions on what medium range (30+ meter) 3D LIDAR and RGB camera to use with RTAB-Map on an indoor/outdoor drone to generate a 3D RGB point cloud?

Initially, I was considering the Intel L515, but noticed the short 9 meter maximum range and that it is optimized for only indoor usage.  So, now I am considering other lightweight 3D LIDAR like the Velodyne Puck LITE, but do I need a stereo RGB camera for RTAB-Map to perform loop closures?

If anyone has had success with a 3D LIDAR and an RGB camera with RTAB-Map to generate a 3D RGB point cloud, please let me know your configuration details, including IMU/GPS.  Thanks!

- Phil

Re: Suggestions for 3D LIDAR and RGB on outdoor drone

Eric Schleicher
This post was updated on .
the ouster os1 is the value leader.  you can actually purchase them for the
listed prices (which you can't for velodyne generally speaking).

Re: Suggestions for 3D LIDAR and RGB on outdoor drone

phil
The Ouster OS1 specs look good.  Has anyone successfully paired the Ouster OS1 with a specific RGB camera, or do I not have to worry about what kind of RGB camera I use in conjunction with a LIDAR sensor?