Unusual patterns and colors and bad quality mappings coming from RTabMap

Unusual patterns and colors and bad quality mappings coming from RTabMap

FeriBolour
Hey Guys,
So I've been using RTabMap for a while now and I used to get high-quality mappings with it using an Intel D435i for our purposes. Like this one

But about a month ago I started to get very weird results without changing anything in my launch files. I would see very unusual color patterns in my mappings.  For example:

And also I would see that straight lines are sometimes warped or curved. For example:

But the main thing that I have been worried about is unusual coloring patterns. At first, I thought it might be the cameras that I have been using. But I have three D435is and they all give me the same kind of results on different computers. Here's a snapshot of the result of a multi-camera configuration that I was working on while the cameras are static and not moving.

You can see how the coloring is completely off.
So I think one thing that can give more insight into this problem is that when I am using RViz for visualization and I'm looking at the mapping being done online, I can't see any of those coloring patterns and everything seems to be fine. But as soon as I download the map, all those patterns appear on the final point cloud. I don't know if this was helpful but that's the closest I got to finding where the problem is coming from.
Has anyone else recently experienced such a thing as well?
I would appreciate any kind of help and guidance!

Thank You
Farshad Bolouri

Re: Unusual patterns and colors and bad quality mappings coming from RTabMap

Hi Farshad,

For the colors, it is because the overlapping clouds don't have the same color. The reason why they don't have the same color is often that auto-exposure or auto-white-balance are enabled on the camera. Are you using rtabmap standalone or on ROS? With ROS, it seems we can fix the exposure: https://github.com/IntelRealSense/realsense-ros/issues/1786

Re: Unusual patterns and colors and bad quality mappings coming from RTabMap

FeriBolour
Thank You Mathieu for the quick response!
I am indeed using RTabMap with ROS. I will check out the links you sent me and report back my results.