Using Kinect for Windows v1

banjo
Hi!

Great project, would very much like to try this out. Is there a way to use the Kinect for Windows (v1) on a Windows 8 computer?

Does OpenNI work with this sensor? or is there another way to use the regular K4W driver?

Sorry for the beginner's questions, have mostly been using Kinect in a Windows development environment...

//Anders

Re: Using Kinect for Windows v1

m.omar82
hi
from the tutorial https://code.google.com/p/rtabmap/wiki/Installation#Windows
it can work with openNi
please if your test it shear your experiments
goood luck with windows & kinect

Re: Using Kinect for Windows v1

Kinect for Windows is different from the Kinect for XBOX 360. On Windows, maybe the Microsoft Kinect SDK could be used to acquire the images, making a driver in CameraRGBD source file.

Here another answer that may help:
"The only experience I had with the K4W is that it didn't work out-of-the-box with ROS, then we used Kinect for Xbox 360 or Xtion instead. However, we still have a K4W here, so I just tested it with the instructions here: http://www.iheartrobotics.com/2012/06/k4w-testing.html and the demos work. I have built rtabmap with this modified libfreenect library and it works (with a minor change that I just commited). Maybe you will need to rebuild the freenect_launch ros package (http://wiki.ros.org/freenect_launch) with the libfreenect built with the link above. "

You could check to make it run with freenect under Windows, then no code change would be required in rtabmap.

Re: Using Kinect for Windows v1

banjo
Hi! Thanks for your tips and pointers, I started looking into your code but then I tried again with OpenNI and I finally had success with the following setup and installation sequence:

Windows 8.1, 64-bit
Microsoft Kinect SDK v1.8 with dependencies
Uninstalled Kinect driver and removed driver files.
OpenNI-win64-1.5.4.0-dev
Sensor-win64-5.1.2.1-redist
SensorKinect093-bin-win64-5.1.2.1

One more thing, I have a little bit of an issue loading meshes (PLY files) to a decent viewer, tried Meshlab and got 31M vertices but 0 faces. Is this an issue with my data or is there another viewer that you recommend using instead?

Looking forward to proceeding with this by mounting my Kinect to my robotic chassis!

//Anders

Re: Using Kinect for Windows v1

By default RTAB-Map exports only the points (not the polygons). To export a mesh, the option "Meshing using GP3..." in the Export dialog must be checked (older RTAB-Map versions have this parameter in Preferences->3DRendering). However, the mesh generation is pretty basic (using the PCL approach described here). You may want to generate yourself the mesh from the point cloud.

I put some screenshots here:
Export dialog
cloud
gp3
mls+gp3

The last screenshot is with the option MLS post-processing checked to smooth the surface before meshing. See this PCL tutorial about smoothing.