Combining VIS and ICP odometry with d455 sensor

Combining VIS and ICP odometry with d455 sensor

dinossht
I am thinking of combining visual odometry with ICP odometry using the d455 sensor for more robust localization. Maybe also combining the IMU? Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea?

Re: Combining VIS and ICP odometry with d455 sensor

Alex Frantz
Hey!

I am trying to do something similar but I am facing some issues. I made a post in the Forum earlier today.

Here is the link, perhaps you can take a look or get some answers too!

http://official-rtab-map-forum.206.s1.nabble.com/Combine-3D-Lidar-and-RGB-D-Camera-to-create-a-single-3D-point-cloud-sensor-fusion-td10162.html

Re: Combining VIS and ICP odometry with d455 sensor

Do you mean do both visual and icp odometry with D455 sensor? I don't have much experience on D455, but if the point cloud looks like the D435, I would not do ICP odometry. ICP odometry works well for TOF cameras (ideally with large FOV), not stereo cameras.

In both cases (visual or icp), adding IMU can help for better estimation, and also to have automatically the map aligned to gravity.